New team of patient care, medical technology, reimbursement and pharmacology experts to help inform development and clinical utility of YouScript® Personalized Prescribing System.
SEATTLE, WA—December 17, 2013— Genelex, a pioneer in personalized medicine and genetics-based medication management, today announced formation of its Clinical Advisory Board. The diverse group of experts will help inform the development and clinical utility of the YouScript Personalized Prescribing System, which combines risk analysis, interpretive software, pharmacogenetic testing and pharmacist consultations to help doctors optimize complex medication regimens. Widely viewed as the most comprehensive medication management system available, YouScript enables healthcare providers to quickly determine when genetic testing could help guide treatment and whether prescribed medications are likely to cause adverse side effects or fail to work.
The Genelex Clinical Advisory Board, consists of experts in patient care, health insurance reimbursement, clinical research and pharmacology, and includes the following members:
- Dr. Charles Cefalu Professor and Chief of Geriatric Medicine at Louisiana State University (LSUHSC) and the Program Director for the LSUHSC Geriatric Medicine Fellowship. He is on the Board of Directors of the American Geriatrics Society and Chair of the Clinical Practice Committee of the American Medical Director’s Association (AMDA).
- Dr. Linda Delo 2010-2011 President of the Florida Osteopathic Medical Association (FOMA) and an active member of FOMA since 1986. She has been in private family practice for more than 25 years and is in the process of becoming a National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) Level 3 Patient Centered Medical Home. She also participates and serves on the board of Florida Physician’s Trust, one of the first advanced payment model accountable care organizations.
- Dr. Dave Durham Consulting neuropsychiatrist at Sage Neuroscience Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico, and a Clinical Assistant Professor at the University of New Mexico, School of Medicine. He is the current Chair of the Board of Governors of the American College of Neurocognitive Medicine. In 2008 he co-founded the Neuroscience Research Institute and worked on a multi-disciplinary research team studying the clinical efficacy of pharmacogenetics in psychiatry.
- Dave Garets Semi-retired former President and CEO of HIMSS Analytics and Executive Vice President of HIMSS. He has also held executive positions at Healthlink, Gartner and The Advisory Board Company. He is currently a Principal at Mountain Summit Advisors, providing M&A, recapitalization/financing and consulting services to private healthcare IT firms and a governing board member of Health Care DataWorks and the Northwest Network of PeaceHealth.
- Robert Gregory A consultant with extensive industry knowledge and experience in managed care, long-term care and hospital pharmacy. He has more than 30 years of experience as a practicing pharmacist and healthcare manager. His most recent experience was as a Pharmacy Director for Aetna Pharmacy Management. He also supported Aetna Pharmacy’s initiatives relating to the integration of pharmacy with other medical programs.
- Holly Whitcomb Henry A board certified pharmacotherapy specialist, 2008-2009 President of the National Community Pharmacist Association (NCPA), past President of the Washington State Pharmacy Association and CEO of Rxtra Care, Inc. She is also a member of NCPA’s political action committee.
- Dr. Forest Tennant Former US Army Medical Officer and Public Health Physician who established a pain clinic in 1975 primarily for cancer and post-polio patients. He has published over 300 articles primarily on pain, addiction and neurochemistry. For more than 10 years, he has been the Editor-in-Chief of Practical Pain Management circulated to 47,000 physicians who treat pain patients.
- Dr. R. Jeffery Westcott Director of the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory at Swedish Medical Center in Seattle, where he has be a practicing cardiologist since 1978. He is a member of the American College of Cardiology’s task force on healthcare informatics and is Chairman of the Cardiology Steering Board for Epic Systems Corporation, a major EHR vendor.
“Adverse drug events are the fourth leading cause of death in America and cost the US health system more than 289 billion dollars annually. This could be substantially reduced if patient genetics were considered before prescribing,” said Kristine Ashcraft, Chief Operating Officer at Genelex. “Our Clinical Advisory Board will play a pivotal role in making it easy for physicians to use tools like YouScript to make genetics-based prescribing decisions at the point of care.
Genelex is a pioneer in comprehensive medication management, pharmacogenetic testing and analysis. Its patented YouScript® Personalized Prescribing System is the only medication management system to assess the cumulative effect of a patient’s genetics and entire drug regimen. YouScript was a finalist in the Allscripts Open App Challenge, and is used by healthcare providers, clinical researchers and managed and accountable care organizations. Founded in 1987, Genelex is based in Seattle and was one of the first labs to provide pharmacogenetic testing and interpretation. For more information, please go to: www.genelex.com or www.youscript.com.
# # #